Software Engineer, Customer Data Applications
- San Francisco, CA
If you think about the story of Square, it's largely a story of a payments company that spawned an ecosystem of products related to commerce: Payroll, Capital, Appointments, Employee Management, Loyalty, Gift Cards and many more. People come to Square for payments, but they stay for the integrated ecosystem.
The Customer Data Applications team is at the center of this and provides the scalable communication channels that connect this ecosystem of products to our payments customers. What's unique is that instead of simply integrating with 3rd party marketing tools, we've taken a long view and built a Customer Data Platform that just happens to power marketing as the first use case. Now that the system is up and running, we're starting to build and integrate a new ecosystem of products powered by data, including personalization and ML, analytics, segmentation, data governance, and warehousing just to name a few.
Furthermore, the team is unique in that we build most of our services on the Google Cloud platform therefore there are opportunities to become an expert in cloud tooling which is a valuable set of skills to have as the world moves towards the cloud.
As a member of our team, you will:
- Help us architect the core Square wide data models that unify a number of distributed services.
- Work with all product teams across Square to enable or build data integrations, client logging libraries and instrument events in other teams services.
- Work with Marketing Operations team to either build or integrate tools to make marketing more automated and effective.
- Work closely with our data science and machine learning teams to build event-based marketing triggers.
- Design and build APIs and highly available services that deliver personalized, real-time content.
- Build data pipelines and integrations that connect Squares services to cloud services and 3rd party tools.
- 2+ years of software engineering experience
- Demonstrated excellence in Python, Java or Ruby
- A desire to be directly responsible for the lifecycle of engineering solutions. This includes leading the design and implementation of projects and organizing the team to achieve a remarkable solution.
- Experience designing and building APIs
- A love of data, data munging and care about building the right abstraction
- A strong desire to see your work have direct impact on the business
Nice to have:
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform
- Expertise with streaming technologies (Kafka, Pubsub, Kinesis) and log-based architectures and experience writing batch and stream processing jobs (i.e. Apache Beam, Google Cloud DataFlow, Apache Spark, Apache Storm)
- Experience with ad tech, targeting, machine learning
- Familiarity with marketing systems