Software Engineer, Marketing Technology
- New York, NY, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Marketing Technology team exists to make growth and the analysis of it more effective and efficient. We are the connective tissue binding the tools, technology, data, and individual team initiatives across Square to drive the entire ecosystem forward. We are responsible for unlocking potential in teams, tools, and technology. We are a new and growing team with the opportunity to drive massive change at Square and we need Growth Engineers just like you!
As a Growth Engineer on the Marketing Technology team, you will:
- Be the subject matter expert in marketing and growth technology; understand our existing platform landscape and how to optimize it.
- Work in a small, cross-functional, dynamic engineering team to unlock the potential of Square’s growth technology and the teams who leverage it.
- Partner and embed with data, marketing, and product teams across Square to drive implementation and adoption of the stack.
- Be responsible for creating comprehensive documentation to enable self-serve use of the stack.
- Evangelize convention over configuration to lower the cost of integration and increase velocity.
- Unlock innovation at scale for teams and tech throughout Square.
- 5+ years of industry experience with the ability to work across the entire stack.
- Experience shipping fast, reliable, real-time applications using modern development technologies.
- Deep understanding of the tools that power marketing automation, experimentation, personalization, attribution, and analytics.
- Expertise in implementing third-party tools and integrating them in first-party applications:
- Segment, Optimizely, Iterable, Amplitude, Google Analytics, or similar products.
- Ability to improvise and develop creative solutions when common approaches fail.Understand the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism.
- Perpetual curiosity and passion for honing and sharing your craft.
Technologies we use and teach at Square:
- Ruby / Rails, Java, Golang, Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, RedisC, AWS
- Startup experience: technical founder/co-founder, growth, or data roles
- Experience with conversion rate optimization
- Affinity for marketing and growth
- Experience with Google’s Marketing Platform: GA 360, SA 360, DV 360, Tag Manager, etc.
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.