Global Events Lead
- San Francisco, CA, USA
Square is looking for a Global Events Lead to oversee a team of coordinators who produce both internal and external experiences for our employees, partners, and communities. The Global Events team plans, coordinates, and supports thoughtful and well-executed events – whether it’s a small executive meeting or a company-wide gathering for 4,000+ – for a fast-growing, increasingly distributed, global company. In addition to the work we do to help make Square the best place to work, we also provide production and logistics support for community, policy, and corporate events that represent Square’s brand and values in the world.
This is a player coach role, so beyond leading and developing this team of events professionals, you will create your events (from conception to production) as well.
This role requires creativity, a thoughtful leadership approach, and the ability to change course quickly and perform gracefully in high-stress situations. A sense of humor is important, too! As part of the broader Employee Engagement team, you will help shape our employees’ daily experiences at work, and reflect our values, purpose, and culture.
This job can be located in San Francisco, Oakland, New York, Portland, Atlanta or St. Louis.
- Establish the strategic direction of the Global Events team to provide outstanding event programming with clear objectives, timelines, and financial goals.
- Cultivate foundational relationships with outside vendors (and build on existing ones) and negotiate complex vendor contracts, with an eye for cost savings.
- Work with Square's executive team and staff to produce strategic gatherings to support our goals.
- Manage budget and roadmap forecasting with the ability to modify programming and plans quarter by quarter.
- Create and pitch new event projects and opportunities to important partners across the company, with a focus on our offices outside of the Bay Area as we become increasingly distributed.
- 10+ years of experience in event management, preferably in-house.
- Experience producing large scale events (often with complex requirements)
- Effective people management skills. You build trust with your team by leading alongside them with fairness and accountability, while communicating transparently and positively.
- Vendor management experience and established relationships with partners in major cities around the globe.
- The ability to partner with executive level staff.
- Ability to lead through influence and work collaboratively with teams throughout the company.
- A true passion for promoting an inclusive company culture and helping small businesses grow.
- Ability and willingness to travel ~25% of the time.