Head of Information Technology
- San Francisco, CA
Join our growing Business Technology team as we empower business to achieve our next chapter of global growth and scale with a digital and distributed workforce. We are seeking a pragmatic, entrepreneurial, and accomplished innovative technology infrastructure player-coach leader to paint and execute on the strategic vision in support of the Company’s growth.
The Head of Infrastructure Technology is accountable for Square’s Enterprise Technology Operations, including on-premise infrastructure, cloud infrastructure engineering & operations, systems engineering & operations, AV, and Help Desk. This position reports to the Head of Business Technology and is based out of San Francisco or Oakland CA.
At Square the IT Lead will play a critical role in developing IT strategy, driving operational excellence and maximizing the potential for automation and the overall employee experience. The ideal candidate will possess a strong sense of ownership, deep knowledge of a variety of technologies, and broad problem solving experience. At Square we do IT differently, we focus on automation, an exceptional employee experience and develop ways, to find a way to say yes.
- Foster a business-oriented team culture and mindset driven by continual service improvement techniques.
- Lead and mentor multiple teams including IT Operations, IT Support, IT development and AV.
- Create and implement IT policies and procedures that enable Square
- Define the IT vision and strategy at Square. Stay ahead of the technology curve and collaborate with key decision makers to align business needs with IT initiatives.
- Drive results with clearly defined priorities, effective resource allocation, roadmaps, project plans and execution frameworks.
- Drive operational excellence within the IT organization.
- Develop and implement standards, policies and processes for: oncall support, change/incident management, service delivery, system architecture, disaster recovery and purchasing.
- Recommends, implements, and operates tools and methods for securing infrastructure and managing access control in cooperating with the InfoSec team
- Acts as a trusted advisor to build and maintain relationships with other executives from the Product Engineering, Cloud Ops, InfoSec, Facilities, and Business Technology teams to develop a clear understanding of business needs. Ensures cost-effective delivery of IT services to meet those needs, and can respond with the agility required to address the evolving needs of the business priorities
- Partners with Business Technology and other teams to pivot to lean organization for continuous delivery movement.
- Establishes and maintains Disaster Recovery strategy & processes. Use industry best practices and leadership to maintain and continuously evolve the Cloud (on-premise, AWS) system architecture
- Leads effective solutions to service outages, including post-mortem root cause analysis and recommendations/implementations to ensure long-term remediation of issues
- Responsible for the overall managerial responsibility and day to day operations of the entire IT Infrastructure Operations Team including 24x7 global support and corporate data center(s)
- Maintains and presents to Executive team regularly TechOps KPIs and support metrics such as critical issue escalations, issue volumes, staff productivity levels, and overall health of software & infrastructure technology.
- Manages the successful delivery of infrastructure changes by enterprise architecture standards to ensure infrastructure meets business continuity and architectural standards
- Contributes to operational planning and projects, and organize and negotiate the allocation of resources
- Leverages relationships and SLA’s with strategic technology vendors, and external advisory groups, to define strategic direction and effectively deliver significant initiatives
- Maintains and enhances our IT controls and audit processes; Lead IT-related client audits and answers inquiries regarding our IT infrastructure
- Provides career growth, mentorship, and leadership for the IT team
- 15+ years of IT experience. 6 years minimum IT management experience. Prior experience leading a global team is highly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or other related field.
- Ability to attract, retain and develop high caliber technical talent for the team
- Direct experience owning an IT budget.
- Strong organizational and project management skills are a must.
- Hands on leader who not only can provide guidance but can also roll up their sleeves and do the work when needed
- Experience managing managers.
- In-depth knowledge of managing and scaling services in both data centers (including co-lo) and public cloud (preferably AWS) infrastructure and platforms. Includes rapid-scaling, high availability, resiliency, and virtualization
- Deep understanding of current and emerging TechOps technologies, practices, and how other enterprises are employing them
- Application of regulatory or statutory compliance, including GDPR, and information security
- Success in leveraging traditional best practices such as ITSM, as well as emerging methods, such as DevSecOps, Continuous Delivery, that are optimized for agility
- Deliver effective service management through the definition and adoption of a governance practice that uses KPIs and metrics to track and measure the quality of service. Integrates them with key accountabilities to ensure consistency of approach and continual service improvement leveraging concepts such as Pareto Analysis
- Active vendor management and partner relation skills to identify and leverage resources internal and external to the enterprise to enhance capabilities that support business outcomes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to explain technical concepts and technologies to business leaders, and business concepts to the TechOps workforce