Software Engineer, Restaurants
- New York, NY, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Restaurants team at Square is reimagining the hospitality industry to empower today's restaurants with simple, elegant software and efficient workflows. We admire the people working in the highly-competitive food and drink business and we want to do our part to help them succeed.
Restaurants today operate in an increasingly dynamic landscape, and we're building a modern product ecosystem to support this by using technology to unlock new workflows, revenue streams, and means of communication. Our focus is on efficiency, automation, and reliability themes of paramount importance in a fast-paced environment where great hospitality is key.
We're looking for a motivated software engineer with expertise in server-side development and enough proficiency to move across the stack to the front end when needed. Our products consist of sophisticated Web, iOS, and Android software that integrates seamlessly with our hardware -- all backed by reliable services.
As a software engineer on the Restaurants team, you'll build and maintain the services that power our web and mobile applications, as well as the web-based dashboard that enables restaurant owners to set up, manage, and learn from their business. We work in small, full-stack product teams, so you'll collaborate closely with product managers, designers, and other engineers on a daily basis. You'll also work with our partners across the company in shared codebases, and contribute directly to the platform when needed.
What you will learn and do:
- You'll create beautiful, unique products that allow anyone to run a restaurant
- You'll design and build into Square platform services, working to support features in our web and mobile products
- You'll build and maintain services owned by our team
- You'll work closely and collaboratively with designers, product managers, and other engineers; very often across team boundaries
- You'll ship reliable software through continuous integration, test automation, and in-depth code reviews
- You'll find simple, elegant solutions to hard problems
- You'll grow as an engineer, and as you do you'll lift others around you
What you bring to the team and to Square:
- Motivation to build beautiful, intuitive products for the food and drink service industry
- Innate curiosity, and a desire to learn and teach
- Empathy for your customers and colleagues
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others
- Experience working in Java or Rails, preferably with some full-stack experience
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.