Research Analyst, Communications
- San Francisco, CA
By working within Square’s Communications & Policy team, you will help create and shape the narrative of our company. We are looking for someone who knows how to build and support big ideas and is comfortable being part of a team who pushes the boundaries of storytelling. You will bring a data-driven perspective and discipline to our team, and provide quantitative support to uncover newsworthy insights to improve the business, our sellers, and the broader economics, markets, and financial community.
- Collaborate with our design, social, communications, and government relations teams to help promote creative data journalism projects that highlight Square’s sellers related to Square’s purpose of economic empowerment.
- Perform data analysis using SQL to create reports and analyses.
- Use your technical experience with analytics tools and scientific rigor to produce newsworthy insights.
- Explore our vast payments data sets to identify trends, including seller usage patterns, payment volume, item-level data, growth metrics, and seasonal fluctuations.
- Challenge assumptions, and be comfortable working with big and sometimes complicated data to glean interesting, digestible findings.
- Turn data into meaningful narratives for external partners such as journalists, academics, policymakers, and other government officials.
- Promote data best practices and act as an advocate of data-driven culture across Square.
- 3+ years of analytics experience in a payment, product, marketing, communications or business roles.
- Advanced proficiency with database querying technologies (e.g. MySQL or similar)
- Understand quantitative research and statistical analysis with experience using data to support a point of view.
- Experience driving analytics projects from beginning to end: question formation, data exploration, statistical analysis, visualization, and presentation.
- The skills to communicate complex analysis to any audience in verbal, visual, and written formats.
- Accuracy when extracting statistical information from complex data analysis.
- Work in collaboration with multiple disciplines as an analytics partner.
- Understand the payments industry
- Experience in programming, especially with data science and visualization libraries in Python or R.
- Background in economic consulting
Technologies we use and teach:
- Query languages (SQL)
- Python, R
- Databases (Snowflake, Hive)
- Visualization (Tableau, Amplitude)