Senior Android Engineer, Restaurants
- New York, NY, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Restaurants team at Square is reimagining the hospitality industry to empower today's restaurants with simple, elegant software and efficient workflows. We admire the people working in the highly-competitive food and drink business and we want to help them succeed.
Restaurants today operate in an increasingly dynamic landscape, and we're building a modern product ecosystem to support this. Our products leverage innovative technology to unlock new workflows, revenue streams, and means of communication. In everything we build, we focus on efficiency, automation, and reliability: themes of paramount importance in a fast-paced environment where great hospitality is key.
As an Android engineer on the Restaurants team, you’ll work closely with other engineers as well as designers and product managers to develop beautiful software on our own custom hardware. You’ll also be joining Square’s vibrant global community of Android engineers, with a robust open source presence and culture of learning and teaching.
- Design and build robust, scalable client software
- Lead complex cross-functional initiatives, often across team boundaries
- Mentor other engineers and steward the quality and health of our codebase
- Participate in the full lifecycle of product development, from early definition through release and beyond
- Collaborate closely with product managers and designers, as well as engineers across the company
- Bring industry-advancing technology to restaurant owners internationally!
- Motivation to build beautiful, intuitive products for restaurant industry
- Experience mentoring other engineers and leading cross-functional projects
- Empathy for your customers and colleagues
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others
- Experience shipping and maintaining Android apps
- 6+ years experience in Android software development (Java and/or Kotlin)
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin for development
- Application architecture based on Square’s modern open source library, Workflow
- Espresso and Snapshot for testing
- Protocol buffers for network transport
- Gradle for our build environment
- Also exposure to LeakCanary, RXJava, Dagger, Mortar, and Okhttp among others
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.