Product Manager, Conversations
- San Francisco, CA
The Conversations team formed in mid-2019 after the acquisition of Eloquent Labs, a conversational artificial intelligence (AI) services business founded by leading Natural Language Processing (NLP) researchers. At Square, the Conversation team is focused on helping small businesses communicate with their customers. In October 2019, the team launched Square Assistant, which is a AI-backed tool that allows customers to respond directly to SMS appointment reminders to confirm or change their appointment.
As a Product Manager on the Conversations team, you will lead out efforts to establish tools that help small businesses communicate with the customers. Specifically, we are centralizing how small businesses communicate with their customers, by unifying the numerous touch-points. We are also helping them automate and handle some of the conversational load. Figuring out exactly how we can help businesses and their customers interact is tricky, and that’s where you come in!
You are passionate about understanding a customer’s needs and pain points, and working with diverse partners to simplify the complex and ship elegant solution. You will need to be comfortable with AI (ideally NLP) and working directly with a team of passionate engineers. The Conversations team is leading the way on NLP within Square, and through this role you will help positively affect millions of small businesses around the world with how they communicate with their customers.
This role can be based in any of our full-time San Francisco Bay Area offices: Redwood City, San Francisco, or Oakland. Our preference is Redwood City, as that is where the team has their offices, but we believe the role can be successful from any of our SF Bay Area offices.
- Understand the communication-related jobs to be done for small businesses.
- Summarize customer needs into a product road-map, and determine essential product-related metrics.
- Report on progress toward deliverables to the team and partners.
- Work with Customer Success, Sales, Engineering, and Design to refine how we work together as we grow.
- Foster a community of data-informed decision-making.
- Help shape our product development process as we continue to grow.
- Assess new opportunities and develop agreement around them.
- Develop industry-leading products across desktop, mobile, and native platforms that uniquely serve Square’s customers
- 5+ years of professional experience, with at least 3 years working as a Product Manager.
- You have previously worked with a high-performing team of software engineers.
- Bonus: Professional experience in software engineering, or a CS degree.
- Double Bonus: Professional experience with ML / AI, or degree focusing on ML / AI.
- Customer-focused. Experience channeling customer empathy into product execution.
- Experience shipping elegant customer-facing products
- Spreadsheet skills to analyze and manipulate data, Bonus: SQL, Python, or R skills.
- A collaborative approach: Experience accomplishing goals with diverse teams.
- You’re passionate about using ML/AI to empower small businesses.
- Bonus: You’ve worked at a growing startup, especially early stage.