Product Writer, Merchant Risk Experience
- San Francisco, CA
The Product Writer at Square functions as a user experience co-owner with design. Just as our designers have a system that helps ensure consistency across products and platforms, Square’s product writers are responsible for making sure words used across our products have a consistent, dependable meaning. In the early design stages, they aid in research to help identify user pain points, address edge cases, and make sure the content strategy is as effective as possible. As designs become more fleshed out, their role switches from strategy to creating copy that works with the design to create clear, concise communication that aligns with Square’s voice and tone guidelines. They also participate in weekly review sessions with other product writers across Square and regularly collaborate with several cross-functional partners. The Product Writer may additionally write marketing copy for a release, or work closely with Copywriters at Square to produce content that aligns to the product’s goals.
As Square continues to diversify its product portfolio, the need for consistent user experiences become critical to our sustainable growth. This is particularly true for our Risk products, in which empathetic language becomes crucial to helping our merchants understand how to best protect themselves from business risks, such as fraud and payment disputes.
We’re looking for a product writer who is interested in improving the financial risk experience for merchants using Square. The ideal candidate is curious about risk, meticulous with words, design-oriented, and has a track record of strong cross-functional coordination. They should also possess exceptional communication skills and a bias towards action.
- Lead content strategy for all Risk-related UX and UI copy (Apps, Dashboard, landing page, etc)
- Work with designers, marketers, product managers, engineers, and legal to finalize in-product copy
- Provide guidance to any partner teams producing presentations, sales, or support content around Risk products
- Help to continually audit and improve automated Risk experiences, such as emails and in-product notifications
- Meet with Square’s product writers on a regular basis to further standardize best practices across Square
- Experience as a UX writer at an agency and/or in-house group, with an applicable portfolio or writing samples
- Experience with incorporating research to make better-informed UX decisions
- Excellent grammatical and editorial skills—you choose words carefully, prefer brevity, and prioritize comprehension
- The flexibility to work in a fast-paced environment and manage several projects at once
- An open and optimistic attitude, with the ability to both consider feedback and advocate for your work
- Prior experience in financial services, risk, and/or a highly-regulated industry is a plus