Software Engineering Manager, Platform, Cash App
- Sydney NSW, Australia
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
Cash App is a mobile-first bank that regularly ranks in the top 10 free apps in the App Store with a rapidly growing user base and feature set. Our mission is to provide banking services to all, in particular those that are underserved. Built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic money app with over 15 million monthly active users.
Loved by customers and by pop culture, we’ve held the #1 spot in finance on the App Store for almost two years, and our social media posts see more engagement in a day than most financial brands see in a year.
Headquartered in San Francisco and with major offices around the US, Canada, and Australia, Cash App is bringing a better way to send, spend, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to today’s banking system.
Do you love building both software and teams? Do you care about engineering culture? Do you enjoy participating in the local tech community? Cash App is looking for a senior technical leader, to help shape our growing Sydney presence.
Cash is built as a service mesh, communicating via synchronous APIs and asynchronous events, built on AWS and Kubernetes. The Storage and PubSub Platform team is responsible for all of the stateful systems in the platform, ranging from horizontally scalable databases, through to durable messaging systems. Our goal is to provide a rock solid foundation that application developers use to rapidly prototype and ship product features with confidence and efficiency.
Some examples of problems the team addresses include:
- Building out a truly scalable, self-service, low-latency message bus, with self-serve dead letter queues, that is resilient to repartitioning to add capacity.
- Working on a production rollout of distributed, horizontally scalable, and transactional SQL datastores, and building online migration tooling to help services move away from MySQL without experiencing downtime.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Go, Kotlin, Java
- Docker, Kubernetes
- TiDB, MySQL, Amazon RDS and Aurora, Vitess
- gRPC, Envoy
- SignalFx, DataDog, Jaeger, Prometheus
We value Engineering Managers who:
- Lead with a people-first approach, can lead a conversation rather than dictate it, and are empathetic to conflicting viewpoints.
- Have 5+ experience in leading teams of engineers, in both a technical and people management capacity, and ideally remote and distributed teams.
- Can design, build, and operate a world-class messaging and data storage environment at scale, optimized for reliability, developer velocity, and enjoyment.
- Use a data-driven approach to make the call on any new infrastructure that might need to be added, whether it’s off-the-shelf or built in-house.
- Excel at building world class engineering teams that are highly-functional, collaborative and inclusive.
- Have boundless curiosity, autonomy, and a strong sense of accountability.
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding state and city guidelines.