Data Science Intern, Risk
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
For this 12-week Summer or Fall internship with our Risk Data Science team, you will have the opportunity to work with our team in San Francisco or our New York City location. During the course of your 12 week internship, you will:
- Partner with Square’s product teams to prioritize and answer the most important questions where analytics will have material impact
- Use your experience in analytics tools and scientific rigor to produce actionable insights
- Build machine learning solutions to solve important business problems
- Work with Data Scientists and Engineers to deploy solutions to a production environment
- Collaborate with business leaders, subject matter experts, and decision makers to develop success criteria and optimize new products, features, policies, and models
- Communicate key results to senior management in verbal, visual, and written media
- Pursuing a MS or PhD in Statistics, Computer Science, Physics, Economics, or related technical field
- Experienced in executing hands-on data analysis using Python, SQL, R, or the like
- Familiar with Machine Learning (e.g. regression, classification, ensemble methods, etc.)
- Abe to understand complex business and data systems
- Abe to clearly communicate complex results to technical and non-technical audiences
- Versatile and willing to learn new technologies on the job
- Experienced in one or more object-oriented programming languages, including: Python, C, C++, Java, Ruby, Scala, and Go.
- Familiar with Linux/OS X command line, version control software (git), and general software development
- Experienced in programming or scripting to enable ETL development
- Familiar with relational databases such as Postgres, Snowflake
- Previous industry experience or internships in product related analytics
Technologies we use and teach:
Python (numpy, pandas, sklearn), Snowflake, Statistics (Bayesian methods, experimental design, causal inference), Tableau
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.