Software Engineering Manager - Operations, Cash App
- Portland, OR, USA
- Alternate Location: San Francisco, United States
- Position open to remote: No
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic money app with over 15 million active monthly users.
Loved by customers and by pop culture, we’ve held the #1 spot in finance on the App Store for almost two years, and our social media posts see more engagement in a day than most financial brands see in a year.
With major offices in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Melbourne, Cash App is bringing a better way to send, spend, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to today’s banking system.
As an Engineering Manager on Cash, you will build teams, products, and services that are inspiring, meaningful and will fundamentally change the financial system we know today. You will be responsible for growing the team, ensuring collaboration across a multiple of disciplines and providing support to individuals through your mentorship and leadership skills.
As the lead for the Cash Operations Engineering team, you will drive the build out of infrastructure to enable scalable, efficient, and secure use by our support, risk, and other internal teams. We are building a platform to be effective for customer operations use, and easy to develop for by other Cash engineering teams.
You will help create systems that are scalable, efficient, and secure. You will explore problems, and help build tools that are both more efficient, and enable people to solve more complex problems.
We believe engineering management is a craft worthy of mastery, and we’re looking for an engineering leader who shares our passion for building impactful teams, products, and businesses.
- Partner closely with operational teams, engineers, and business leads to define your team’s vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding the operational needs, and the needs of product teams inside Cash App.
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the organization and company
- Build an effective team by hiring strong talent, coaching and helping develop engineers, cultivating pragmatic engineering
- Build and scale products, systems, and services that increase effectiveness and experience for the teams supporting our millions of customers
- Foster ownership, inclusiveness, accountability, pragmatism, and urgency in the team
- Hold your teammates—and yourself—to high engineering standards
- 8+ years of software development or equivalent experience
- 2+ years experience directly managing engineers (including providing mentorship, feedback, and investing in the career growth of your team members)
- A history of healthy collaboration with product managers, operational teams, and engineering leads on developing roadmaps and executing against them
- The ability to thrive in ambiguity and build creative solutions to complex problems
- Strong self-motivation to learn and grow
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java and Kotlin, with JUnit, Hibernate, and Guice
- TypeScript and React
- gRPC and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services
- Event driven architecture
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding state and city guidelines.