Data Scientist, Trusted Identity
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
As a Data Scientist within the Trusted Identity team at Square, you lead projects that find value from our unique, rich, and expanding data. Specifically, you lead the development of algorithms to help us understand who our sellers are and whether they are using Square’s services within the law.
Square’s mission is to make commerce more accessible to all. Trusted Identity’s mission is to build a data-driven approach to quantifying trust in our sellers. This approach gives Square the ability to accept as broad a group of sellers as possible onto our platform, including sellers that other payments processors may not accept, such as the underbanked, or sellers running nontraditional businesses. Trusted Identity sits at the top of the seller funnel, meaning that our work’s impact percolates through every element of the Square ecosystem. We use our concept of quantified trust to support offering Square to as many sellers as possible while also keeping Square safe from financial crimes, such as money laundering. You lead the development of data solutions that ensure that Trusted Identity can continue to fulfill our mission efficiently and effectively as Square continues to scale.
- Guide analytics projects from beginning to end: work with partner teams, frame and structure questions, collect and analyze data, and present key insights to support decision-making
- Partner with Square’s Compliance team to identify, prioritize, and solve problems where analytics and data science will have a significant impact - with a focus on aiding in Square’s compliance with the US Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering laws
- Work with engineers to promote data best practices and implement analytics solutions
- Work with business leaders, subject matter experts, and decision makers to develop success criteria and improve new products, features, policies, and models
- Use your experience in analytics tools and scientific thoughtfulness to produce actionable insights
- Use machine learning to improve our ability to address Trusted Identity, Compliance, and general operational concerns
- Communicate results to senior management in verbal, visual, and written media
- Help build the next generation of data products at Square
- An advanced degree (M.S., PhD.), preferably in Statistics, Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Economics, or a related technical field
- A strong track record of performing data analysis using Python (numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, etc.) and SQL
- Familiarity with Linux/OS X command line, version control software (git), and general software development
- Experience using statistics and machine learning to solve complex problems
- Experience developing and deploying machine learning / deep learning solutions in production
- The ability to communicate complex results to all audiences
- 1+ years industry experience in data science or machine learning-focused roles
Technologies we use and teach:
- Python (numpy, pandas, sklearn) & R
- Machine Learning (e.g. regression, ensemble methods, neural networks)
- Statistics (Bayesian methods, experimental design, causal inference)
- Google Cloud Platform
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Meal reimbursements
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.