Android Engineer, Product Teams
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
A number of product teams across Square are establishing a presence in our Toronto office and we're looking for foundational engineers to help us grow these teams from the ground up. We value empathy, collaboration, and a commitment to delivering best-in-class software to the millions of sellers who rely on us, and we’ll look to you to anchor our culture in this dynamic new environment. You’ll work closely with your colleagues in New York, San Francisco, Atlanta, and elsewhere as you build domain expertise on your local team, and will collaborate with cross-functional partners to establish effective processes. As the team grows, you’ll help to onboard and provide continued mentorship for new engineers, and steward the architecture and quality of your products.
- The Restaurants team is creating a modern product ecosystem that empowers people to succeed in the highly-competitive food and drink industry.
- We build simple, elegant solutions for every part of a restaurant – from the kitchen at its heart, to the point of sale, to business operations.
- We understand that restaurants today are an increasingly complex and difficult business to be in. Our software helps them operate more efficiently, manage new revenue streams, and communicate in new ways with their staff and customers.
- Our Toronto team will begin with responsibility for our flagship Restaurants Point of Sale on Android, with core strategic value to our product roadmap.
- Square Appointments helps service professionals manage their calendar on the go. With Square’s scheduling software, customers can always get access to their availability and confirm their appointments seamlessly online.
- Our merchants can easily keep their schedules open and attract new business—even when they're done for the day.
- Join us to tackle challenging software and product problems related to scheduling, payments, and distributed systems.
- You will create beautiful Calendar UIs that help merchants manage their time and offline capable features so merchants always have a 60fps experience.
- Motivation to build beautiful, intuitive products
- Empathy for your customers and colleagues
- Experience mentoring other engineers and leading cross-functional projects
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others
- Experience shipping and maintaining Android apps
- 6+ years experience in Android software development
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin for development
- Application architecture based on Square’s modern open source library, Workflow
- Espresso and snapshot UI testing
- Protocol buffers for network transport
- Gradle for our build environment
- Open source libraries like LeakCanary, RxJava, Dagger, Mortar, Okhttp, and more
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.