Software Engineer (Back End), Conversations
- San Francisco, CA
The Conversations team at Square is building a messaging platform to allow merchants to message their customers across multiple channels (SMS, FB), with all of the contextual information Square already knows about their business an integrated into the experience. The team's mission within Square is to help sellers communicate with their customers. The first step of that was to build Square Assistant -- a virtual assistant to help merchants serve their customers, initially over SMS. Looking into 2020 we're excited to focus on messaging more, and of course incorporating the convenience of Square Assistant into our new messaging platform. The team itself was created in mid-2019 with the acquisition of Eloquent Labs.
We're looking for engineers with an interest in backend/server engineering, and particularly in real-time applications (e.g., messaging systems) to help build Square Messenger, and to support the back end infrastructure for Square Assistant.
- Help implement a new messaging product within Square
- Build high availability systems for real-time messaging
- Work with AI, iOS, and web engineers to ship features.
- Work cross collaboratively with product managers and designers to refine and determine product scope.
- Ship AI to businesses that traditionally haven’t had access to it
- 3+ years of relevant academic or industry experience
- Experience with system design and implementation
- Experience with AWS and Java is recommended
- Experience in Python or an interest in machine learning are a plus
- Interest to help shape the mission and roadmap of a new team, and rallying others to join you
- Eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others
Languages and technologies we use (and teach)...
- Java for development
- JUnit for testing
- Protocol buffers for network transport.
- Make (and a bit of Gradle) for our build environment
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Meal reimbursements
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.