Product Design Mechanical Engineer, Intern
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
- Work closely with the product design team to develop new products and improve products already in the field.
- Develop rapid prototypes using common prototyping techniques such as 3D printing, machining, etc.
- Help design high volume & high cosmetic plastic and metal parts.
- Collect input from cross-functional teams to improve your designs
- Effectively communicate your designs in CAD, Keynote, or Powerpoint, and in front of a group.
- Have mentorship from product design engineers to talk you through every step of the way.
Unique aspects to being an Intern on the Square Product Design team:
- Learn and take part in the different aspects of making a consumer product.
- Learn to utilize your existing education and skills to solve real world engineering problems.
- Help to conquer the unique multidisciplinary challenges that come with making products for the payments space.
- Have an impact on new Square products and features.
- Are currently working towards your BS in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design, or similar
- Are interested in a career in product design
- Have basic proficiency in a 3D CAD tool (we use Solidworks)
- Have some knowledge of manufacturing processes typically used in consumer electronics (Injection molding, die casting, sheet metal, etc.)
- Have already taken classes in, and have a base knowledge and intuition around key mechanical engineering concepts (statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, etc.)
- Are hands on and not afraid to solve problems by prototyping and testing
- Passionate about design and consumer electronics. Personal projects encouraged.
Products we work on:
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.