- San Francisco, CA
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square is seeking a highly engaged attorney with a passion for all things employment to join our legal organization.
- Provide advice and counseling on a broad spectrum of employment law issues, including: recruiting, inclusion and diversity issues, employee relations, performance management, leaves of absence and accommodations, wage and hour, pay equity, internal investigations, compensation and benefits, privacy, contingent workforce issues, and immigration
- Collaborate with a variety of partners and manage projects with a team-oriented approach
- Evaluate employment practices, policies, and processes to assess and execute priorities, and ensure compliance
- Draft and review employment related agreements and templates
- Investigate and respond to claims, demand letters, administrative complaints, audits, and other employment related inquiries
- Conduct audits, classification reviews, and support other compliance efforts
- Perform due diligence and advise on employment aspects of M&A projects
- Assist in managing outside counsel on labor and employment matters, and manage employment litigation as needed
- Help develop and conduct training and education programs for employees, managers, and the People team
- Collaborate with local counsel to advise the People team and management on international employment and immigration issues
- Minimum 5 years of employment law experience, with prior in-house experience preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- A team-oriented style and can work in a distributed workforce
- Strong interpersonal skills, team-oriented attitude, and superior attention to detail
- Ability to evaluate risk in light of business and practical considerations and make clear recommendations
- The ability to meet deliverables on time and work in an evolving and growing environment that is prone to changes
- Experience with international issues and/or M&A is a plus
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one state bar (preferably California)
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.