Financial Crimes Technology Lead
- San Francisco, CA
Ever wanted to apply advanced engineering and data science techniques to combat financial crime? Square is continuing to develop new technology to help us quickly find and address illegal financial activities. We are looking for a Financial Crimes Technology Lead to join us and be an essential member of the global compliance leadership team. You will meaningfully contribute to the team’s long-term success and scalability. You will report into Square’s Chief Compliance Officer.
As the Financial Crimes Technology Lead, you will hire and lead Square’s Financial Crimes Engineering, Data Science, and Model Governance teams. You and your teams will set the long-term roadmap for our Compliance technology solutions. You will determine areas of investment and develop our Financial Crimes technology stack. You will also serve as Square’s compliance technology expert and will represent Square in all manner of regulatory and partnership audits.
You will use your financial crimes experience and technology background to solve challenging problems, explore new ways of engineering, and lead meaningful change through technology enablement and scalability. This position can be based in any of our locations (SF, Oakland, Toronto, ATL or New York) with 20% travel expected.
- Build the Financial Crimes Engineering, Data Science and model governance team by offering technical direction and effective people management
- Foster a culture of engineering craftsmanship and provide oversight of work in engineering, data analysis, metrics generation, model governance/validation, queue creation and tuning
- Represent the Compliance team’s tech stack and behavior monitoring model in regulatory and partner audits
- Support the CCO as Square’s AML/CTF/Sanctions technology expert, identifying areas for technical innovation and M&A, evaluating relevant technologies (products, services, and platforms) and vendors, and guide the creation of new and standardized technical requirements and specifications
- Oversee and improve the development of Square’s AML/CTF/Sanctions technology products (“tech stack”), including developing a holistic strategic roadmap for the tech stack across products, organizations, and jurisdictions, and maintaining comprehensive and real-time management of the systems
- Support the development and scaling of new Square products by ensuring that the Compliance tech stack is correctly designed
- Assess areas of highest technological risk and form a perspective on investment paths in a compliance system or tool’s life cycle
- Build relationships with and influence engineering and data science teams
- Network with compliance technology companies and partners who are important to advancing Square’s mission and global expansion
- 10+ years of technology-related experience in the financial services industry, with a background/expertise in anti money laundering, Financial Crimes, transaction monitoring, AML, and sanctions.
- Bachelor or Masters degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- Applications, data applications, or full stack engineering experience, data science background a plus
- Deep Financial Crimes/AML regulatory knowledge, implementation experience navigating regulatory expectations of compliance systems
- Experience in and a desire to improve the latest fields of Fintech, Regtech, Blockchain, artificial intelligence, data science, machine learning, and virtual currencies.
- Experience building and hiring engineering or data science teams
- At minimum, 5 years of engineering leadership experience, managing a team of 7 or more
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Meal reimbursements
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources