Editor/Editorial Strategist, Finance
- San Francisco, CA
In this role, you will create and guide editorial strategy for the finance beat at Square. As an expert in topics such as investment, safe banking, crypto/cash payments, finance/accounting, and other existing and emerging payment methods and technologies, you will oversee content strategy — from pitching, production, distribution, and measurement — across Square’s owned channels for the finance beat.
This will include the hands-on production of blog articles, seller stories, white papers, e-books, infographics, etc. in addition to media content such as audio, interactive digital, video, etc. with the aim to maximize the value of finance content and storytelling throughout Square’s strategic content marketing campaigns, and to inspire creativity and improve in how the Editorial team brings these topics to life for our main audiences.
This is a creative and cross-functional role where you will work with the Communications, Digital, SEO, Product Marketing, Creative, Brand, Experiential, and Sales teams in addition to Square partners, vendors, creative and media agencies to create high-quality, engaging content that moves essential business metrics at all stages of the seller journey.
- Develop a finance content strategy to inform the editorial calendar and ladder into a broader editorial plan and content marketing strategy, working closely with team leads and other editors/strategists/specialists on full-funnel content marketing campaigns that support business, product, and audience goals.
- Develop and execute editorial strategies supporting Square Capital, the use of Square for payments/loans/cash flow/banking, in addition to other emerging product solutions and business vertical opportunities rooted in finance. You will also work with cross-functional partners on go-to-market planning from an editorial lens, accounting for feature releases/updates, product announcements/launches, product/market research, NPS and other audience measurement inputs, etc.
- Manage editorial production for the Town Square content hub and other owned, partner, and syndication channels for the finance beat, including working with a content marketing agency to coordinate daily editorial operations (pitching, assigning, writing, editing), developing content with content marketing program writers, and using licensed content to support the finance content strategy.
- Produce original content such as blog articles, seller stories, white papers, e-books, and other editorial formats such as Q&As, listicles, how-tos, long-form features, quizzes, etc. that support finance content strategy goals.
- Research finance trends and news, working with internal/external experts, industry influencers, content partners, 3rd party researchers, and other sources to create relevant perspectives and insights to fuel a regular cadence of highly informed and data-driven content.
- Consult and inform strategies for content distribution in partnership with Square’s owned channel strategists/specialists and stakeholders, including public web (squareup.com), social media, YouTube, email, print, etc.
- Work with the SEO team to improve organic search traffic and authority on the Town Square content hub for finance topics, related product solutions, and keywords, using keyword research for content optimization and topic/headline ideation.
- Produce content performance reports and insights, using Google Analytics and internal tools to track trends and key results, and to inform ongoing content strategy.
- Find fresh editorial perspectives and opportunities that can drive innovation and experimentation within the finance content strategy — from format to creative, to partnering with other teams at Square to forging new content partnerships — to fuel a best-in-class editorial program.
- 5+ years of post-university work experience and a BA/BS in a related field such as journalism, marketing, or communications
- Experience as a journalist or as a content marketer
- Top-notch, demonstrated writing and editing skills across a variety of content types and formats
- Experience with content and editorial production (creating briefs, managing editorial calendar/deadlines, handling feedback, project management, etc.)
- Ability to develop content and editorial strategies
- An understanding of content distribution/marketing channel best practices (social media, email, paid ads, SEO, etc.)
- Knowledge of content measurement and reporting metrics
- A creative approach to editorial
- An energetic and willing attitude
- Experience working at a financial institution or fintech company in a content marketing or editorial role
- Experience writing for finance industry publications, or for finance and fintech clients
- Experience driving business or product metrics
- Experience in other types of marketing, such as demand generation, lead generation, B2B marketing, enterprise marketing, growth marketing, etc.
- SEO expertise
- Photoshop or other graphic design skills
- Video production experience