Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
We're looking for experienced web developers for our Web Presence Engineering team. It's a thriving group, building high-profile websites and back-end systems. Your role would play a key part in how Square connects to and educates new and existing merchants, and their customers.
- You'll work on one or more parts of our website stack, developing our content management and web performance platform - often in partnership with an interactive designer
- You'll write concise code, and sensible tests
- You'll scaffold integrations with third-party APIs
- You'll architect large-scale systems that keep things running smoothly
- You'll get mentoring and support, constructive pull-request reviews, and training
- You'll get a balanced, supportive, fun work environment and career path
- We're keen to see 6+ years of solid, practical, and high-profile experience
- You have an interest in website development and online systems
- You are very comfortable in at least one object-oriented language, and associated web framework.
- You're diligent, flexible, and tenacious
Technologies we use:
- Ruby, JRuby, Rails
- Go, Java, Jetty, and protobufs
- MySQL, Redis, HBase, Hadoop, and Kafka
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.