Software Engineer, Product Teams
- New York, NY, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
New York City has given rise to two of Square’s more recent product teams, Restaurants & Retail. As Square's business continues to expand, these teams are creating elegant and effective products to empower the millions of sellers within these industries who rely on us. We are looking for front-end, back-end and full-stack software engineers to join our New York City Office.
The Restaurants team at Square is reimagining the hospitality industry to empower today's restaurants with simple, elegant software and efficient workflows.
Square for Restaurants builds an ecosystem of products to help restaurant owners run and manage their business. Our lead product, the Restaurant Point of Sale, is currently available on iPad and serving thousands of customers in the US, UK, and Australia, with more markets coming in the future.
Your local retail store owner has struggled too long with clunky, outdated and disconnected tools. Where massive Retail forces use their scale to attract buyers, we use ours to level the playing field for thousands of small-to-midsize businesses. We’re building streamlined and elegant inventory and order management, predictive analytics to help our sellers operate smoothly and fluid omni-channel tools so our sellers can meet their buyers anywhere, anytime. We believe the brightest future of Retail is in the customer connection - and we’re betting on small businesses to succeed.
Retail consists of multiple full-stack, autonomous squads each aligned with a piece of our mission. Each engineer has a primary focus (back-end, web front-end, Android or iOS) and flexibility to work in a second. Career growth opportunities abound in both technical depth and scope, with extensive training and mentorship.
- Build, test, and ship end-to-end features in a large microservice architecture and sophisticated web applications
- Nimbly develop software across several platforms, frameworks, and programming languages
- You'll design and build into Square platform services, working to support features in our web and mobile products
- You'll work closely with designers, product managers, and other engineers; very often across team boundaries
- You'll ship reliable software through continuous integration, test automation, and in-depth code reviews
- 3+ years of software engineering experience, and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages
- Experience pursuing autonomous side projects, research, or open source projects.
- A passion to build beautiful, intuitive products
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Ruby, PHP, Go
- Guice, Guava, Protocol Buffers, gRPC, jOOQ, Rails, Laravel
- MySQL, Redis, Kafka, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Memcached
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.