- Atlanta, GA, USA
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
We’re looking for a Technical Writer whose passion is helping developers be successful. We’re aggressively growing the Square Developers team as we expand the platform and engage the broader developer community. We consider documentation an integrated product as critical to developer success as the APIs it explains. The Technical Writing team helps set our documentation strategy and partners with the Developer Experience Engineering team to make documentation an interactive experience that ensures we're meeting the needs of successfully educating, informing, and guiding developers. Come grow the Square developer community!
- Write clear, concise, and human documentation for Square’s external developer audience.
- Develop code samples and interactive tutorials to help developers get up to speed quickly.
- Democratize the documentation process across the Developer Platform team, serving as an editor for contributing engineers.
- Work with product managers, developer evangelists, designers, and marketing to shape the entirety of the Square developer experience, including community development and developer outreach.
- Work with our product teams, other engineering teams, and partner developers in the design and delivery of Square’s global developer platform.
- Contribute occasionally to internal documentation projects.
- Comfortable working in an unstructured writing environment with evolving processes and homegrown systems.
- Comfortable handling multiple projects and self prioritization of ad hoc requests.
- 7+ years of experience working directly with engineers, product managers, and other partners to help document (and define) new developer products and features.
- Experience writing all common forms of developer documentation (API reference, conceptual guides, and tutorials).
- Experience writing Markdown and HTML by hand.
- Experience working with teams and applications in at least one of: Go, Java, Ruby.
- Experience writing code examples in pseudocode and at least one of: PHP, Ruby, .NET, Python, Java, or Swift/Objective-C — and the desire to gain experience with more.
- Comfortable navigating and reading source code in multiple languages.
- Comfortable working with the Linux command line in a Macintosh environment.
- Familiarity with version control systems.
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources