Head of Product Design, Cash App
- New York, NY, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic money app with over 24 million active monthly users.
Loved by customers and by pop culture, we’ve held the #1 spot in finance on the App Store for almost two years, and our social media posts see more engagement in a day than most financial brands see in a year.
With major offices in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Melbourne, Cash App is bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to today’s banking system.
We are looking for a Head of Product Design to lead our design team based in New York City. We pride ourselves in rethinking established paradigms and bringing creative solutions into existence in the financial space. The Head of Product Design will build an outstanding product design team that ships the most impactful work possible.
- Recruit and hire a world-class design team
- Influence product and business decisions at the company and workstream level
- Manage and develop 15 direct reports within the Product Design+ organization
- Lead a multidisciplinary team, currently made up of Design and Research
- Lead teams that work on the most challenging projects across the product ecosystem
- Pinpoint edge cases, future problems, changing variables, potential integrations, and implementation processes when reviewing the team's work
- Provide guidance in areas outside of design (e.g. engineering, product, marketing, strategy, copy)
- Propose and participate in broad research projects to uncover new insights for the business
- Establish processes to help the team create new solutions or inform principled risk taking Lead the team’s work from ideation to completion
- Participate in interviews for high-level candidates across departments
- Work with design leadership to maintain hiring and promotion standards
- Adapt the team structure and processes to support changing needs and organizational growth
Skills and Key Characteristics
- Openly invite feedback and genuinely engaged when critique is provided
- Explain how you have learned and grown from past experiences in self-reflection
- Take ownership of mistakes and quick to provide credit to the team during success
- Provide thoughtful, clear, and concise communication
- Distill complex topics into simple, relatable terms
- Consistently and clearly articulate why certain business, product, design decisions were made, explaining constraints and tradeoffs
- Make correct decisions about more abstract problems or questions
Design Discipline & Mentorship
- Mentor designers, design managers, and business partners
- Propose and make changes to our design operations and practices
- Foster a culture of growth within design team by helping direct reports develop skills necessary to improve the caliber of their work and develop within their careers
- Promote vision for the team through your guidance
- Partner across the organization to establish the roadmap for quarters to years out
- Adapt to various working styles and processes
- Make difficult decisions about plans that are important to the business with concise reasoning
- Concisely articulate feedback and reasoning to establish or shift team priorities
- Strengthen primary design principles within the team and with cross-functional departments
- Represent Cash App Product Design inside and outside the building; build connections with the greater design community
- Work directly with senior leadership on high-profile organizational structuring and planning
- Work through organizational leads to create new opportunities for the company
- Viewed as leader for the design discipline
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.