Senior Software Engineer, Platform
- San Francisco, CA
The CI Infrastructure team strives to enable our engineers to test and release their applications as efficiently as possible. Our team’s role is to design, implement, and manage a solution to lower the friction of developing software at Square. We utilize cloud computing and container technologies including Docker and Kubernetes and apply methodologies such as Continuous Deployment. Members of our team are directly responsible for the building the next generation of Square's software build platform.
Engineers on our team should feel at home working in and around a broad swath of technologies, and understanding the daily frictions of development work your colleagues face. You'll work with engineers across Square to eliminate bottlenecks and develop complementary solutions that allow developers to move faster. You enjoy building new systems from the ground up as much as you love tweaking existing systems to achieve maximum performance.
The team works with open source projects and tools and we contribute back as well. Check out Square's full list of open source projects at http://square.github.io/.
- Develop scalable solutions that improve our Continuous Deployment platform.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to reduce pain points in the development process.
- Contribute to monitoring, stability, and security of existing services.
- Build API and frameworks that allow engineers to access our systems and tooling
- Communicate technical designs in writing and in person to multiple technical audiences.
- Participate in the team on-call rotation for issues with CI/CD systems.
- Experience building CI/CD platforms by creating internal tooling and applying open-source solutions
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant technical experience (5+ years minimum)
- Experience working with and deploying applications in Linux containers
- Solid experience with the Linux/Unix command line and tools
- Experience developing in at least one of Ruby on Rails, Java, Python, Go
- Proficient in unit and integration testing paradigms.
- A strong desire to continue learning
- Be a strength multiplier to product engineering efforts.
- Learn about every technology stack used at Square.
- Work at the intersection of the social and the technical, with growth opportunities in both.
Technologies We Use:
- Primary languages: Ruby, Bash
- Secondary languages: Java, Go
- Operating Systems: Linux, OSX
- Configuration Management: Chef
Other: Ruby on Rails, AWS, Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Docker
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources