Senior Product Data Scientist, Cash App
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 24 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
Interested in learning more?
We are looking for Product Data Scientists to join Square and help build Cash App, the fastest growing financial app in the world. We are reinventing the way people think about banking and financial services through our P2P, Banking, Cash Card, Boost, BTC, and stock investing products. We derive valuable insights from our extremely unique datasets and turn those into actions that improve the experience for our customers every day. This role is part of our Cash App Analytics team and will be deeply embedded within one of our product teams.
Product Data Scientist, Banking
You will work closely with our Banking team, analyzing large datasets to understand how our customers use our core banking features such as the Cash Card, Boost, stored balance, direct deposit, and more. These products drive tremendous value for our customers and our business.
Product Data Scientist, Growth
You will work closely with our Growth team to understand and measure the entire lifecycle of our customers; this role requires some previous experience in Growth and Marketing Analytics. You will analyze large datasets to perform analyses that will optimize our paid marketing and customer acquisition efforts, optimize and improve customer onboarding funnels, monitor product feature attach rates across all Cash App products, and enhance our understanding of customer churn and its root causes.
Product Data Scientist, Investing
You will work closely with our Investing team, analyzing large datasets to understand how our customers use our Bitcoin and stock trading product features. What are they buying? What are they selling? How frequently do they buy or sell assets? What types of customers choose to use our investing features and how are they different from the rest of our massive customer base? Having a background and interest in stock investing and cryptocurrency will be valuable for this position.
Product Data Scientist, Lending
You will work closely with our Lending team. This product is brand new and offers our customers a way to access additional funds when they need it. Having a background in consumer credit and lending analytics is required for this position. You will perform many complex analyses to understand customer eligibility, product adoption, repayment behavior, risk, and much more.
For all of the above roles, you will:
- Partner directly with a Cash App product team, working closely with product managers, engineers, and designers
- Analyze large datasets using SQL and scripting languages to surface meaningful/actionable insights and opportunities to the product team and other key stakeholders
- Approach problems from first principles, using a variety of statistical and mathematical modeling techniques to research and understand customer behavior
- Design and analyze A/B experiments to evaluate the impact of changes we make to the product
- Work with engineers to log new, useful data sources as we build new product features
- Build, forecast, and report on metrics that drive strategy and facilitate decision making for key business initiatives
- Write code to effectively process, cleanse, and combine data sources in unique and useful ways, often resulting in curated ETL datasets that are easily used by the broader team
- Build and share data visualizations and self-serve dashboards for your product team
- Effectively communicate your work with team leads and cross-functional stakeholders on a regular basis
For all of the above roles, you have:
- 1-2 years of data science and analytics experience in industry
- A PhD or other relevant graduate degree in the physics, economics, statistics, or a similar STEM field
- Experience with scripting and data analysis programming languages, such as Python and R
- Advanced proficiency with SQL and data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau)
- Experience with cohort and funnel analyses, a deep understanding statistical concepts such as selection bias, probability distributions, and conditional probabilities
- Experience in a high-growth tech environment
- An appreciation for the connection between your work and the experience it delivers to customers
- Intellectual curiosity and a passion for what Cash App is building
Technologies we use and teach:
- SQL (MySQL, Snowflake, BigQuery, etc.)
- Python, R
- Tableau, Airflow, Looker
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.