Senior Software Engineer (Fullstack/Backend), Identity Verification and Activation
- San Francisco, CA
Square empowers sellers and businesses to accept payments on multiple channels such as e-commerce and physical stores globally. Help build the platform that enables Square to accomplish this mission with ease.
We are the front door to Square. Operating in the regulated financial space, Square is required to verify the real-world identity of businesses and individuals before they can accept payments or use other financial products. Our platform performs the complex due diligence and varied rules required to establish the identity of the businesses engaging with Square and allow them to accept payments in minutes. We are part of the teams that facilitate money movements for all products at Square.
Why is this team important to Square?
- Our success in building a global platform is essential for Square’s continued success in existing markets and expansion to new markets.
- We serve important products at Square who in turn serve our sellers. These include our largest revenues and growth products, to name a few: Payments, Capital loans, Payroll, Square Card, Cash.
We are looking for engineers to help us in crucial projects. You have to excel at hard problems:
- Verifying real-world identity: Security and privacy for our customers are extremely important to us. We are always pushing the boundaries to give our product teams the room to create friction-less user experiences, and our legal & compliance teams the tools they need to be more effective.
- Scale: Our platform has to serve not just the whole company and our customers, but also partners and their customers
- International: With the identity verification mechanisms and requirements varying wildly from market to market and regions, this team investigates and incorporates new technologies to automate customer verification.
- Creative Solution: We investigate new technologies to always improve our identification algorithms, applying data and machine learning.
- Contribute in delivering important plans such as international expansion, innovation of verification technologies, automation of complex business.
- Help keep our services stable and robustly aligned with the growth demands of our products.
- Develop APIs for Square products and partners to build upon.
- Design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave, move fast, and break things, without ever showing a negative impact to customers.
- Implement low-latency, distributed systems.
- Build systems that manage customer’s sensitive data and hold Square to the highest standards for security and compliance.
- Work with our product, business, and finance teams to develop Square’s global payments strategy.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience (4+ years preferred)
- Expertise in any object-oriented paradigm
- Curiosity and desire in designing and creating available, compliant, global real-world identity verification and activation systems
- Thrive dealing with hard problems
- Full-stack experience (preferred)
- End-to-end experience (preferred)
- REST API development experience (preferred)
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources