Engineering Manager, Cash App
- San Francisco, California, United States
- Alternate Location: Toronto, Canada
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 24 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
Interested in learning more?
As an Engineering Manager on Cash, you will build teams, products and services that are inspiring, meaningful and will change the financial system we know today. You will oversee the technical architecture, growing the team, ensuring collaboration across a multiple of disciplines and providing support to individuals through your mentorship and management skills.
Working alongside our Product Managers and Designers you will help to shape the Advertising Team’s roadmap, connect customers with messages and products that are most important to them, and scale the advertising infrastructure/product alongside our growing customer base. Overall, the Advertising Team accelerates the growth of Cash App through: notifications, cross-sell, up-sell, triggers, customer targeting, personalization winback, and churn/retention programs.
We believe engineering management is a craft worthy of mastery, and we’re looking for an engineering leader who shares our passion for building impactful teams, products, and businesses.
- Partner closely with product managers, designers, engineers, and business leads to determine your team’s vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding your customers’ needs
- Build products, systems, and services that have an immediate impact on our customers
- Build an outstanding team by hiring, coaching and developing engineers, fostering pragmatic engineering decision-making, and applying your technical expertise to constantly improve
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the organization and company
- Foster ownership, inclusiveness, pragmatism, and urgency in the team
- Hold your teammates—and yourself—to high engineering standards
- 8+ years of software development or equivalent experience
- 2+ years experience directly managing engineers (including providing mentorship, feedback, and investing in the career growth of your team members)
- A history of healthy collaboration with product managers, engineers, and other engineering managers on developing roadmaps and working towards them
- Growth mindset
- Experience creating readable, well-crafted, maintainable code
- Eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, Guice, and Jersey
- gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services
- Event driven architecture
- Feature Engineering for Machine Learning
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.