Senior Software Engineer, Square Appointments
- Denver, CO, United States
Square Appointments helps service professionals manage their calendar on the go. With Square’s online scheduling software, customers can always get access to their availability and confirm their appointments seamlessly online. Our software is the point of sale for the merchants and a tool for them to manage their time. As a senior engineer on Appointments, you will build products and services that are inspiring, meaningful and will fundamentally change the economy we know today. You will be responsible for technical architecture and design for our product, working closely with our product, design and engineering team.
This is a greenfield opportunity, we’re trying to build something new, and starting a team to tackle it. We’re building out a cohesive set of scheduling APIs and product features to help developers and merchants build ambitious products. Our product spans across mobile, web, payments and scheduling and you’ll need to work closely across all these domains. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about product, APIs, developer enablement and solving all the challenging engineering problems we’ll face building scalable Appointments APIs.
You'll join a small Square team in Denver, CO. Initially you will be asked to work remotely, and you’ll partner with supportive colleagues in San Francisco. There will be opportunities to travel to San Francisco to meet the wider team.
What will you do here?
- Build our Appointments platform that will be used by developers and internal teams.
- Design fault-tolerant systems so the team can be brave and move fast, without ever negatively affecting our customers.
- Design data models to support our APIs and product features.
- Build APIs used by apps and microservices.
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the company.
- Own the success of your team's projects throughout their life cycle, from inception to supporting production.
- Take input from and work with our developer community on Square SDK projects and contribute to other projects as appropriate.
- Coach and mentor the team, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical expertise to grow the team.
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Experience providing technical mentorship and guidance.
- Strong self-motivation to learn and grow.
- A passion for creating readable, well-crafted, maintainable code.
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others.
- Effective written communication skills and the self-discipline to work effectively in a remote or distributed team.
- Interest in or experience with distributed systems and Public APIs.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Ruby, Rails, Java, MySQL and Elasticsearch
- Ember.js, ES6, Typescript
- Kotlin, Swift
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources