Senior Software Engineer, Commerce, Cash App
- Kitchener, ON, Canada
- Position open to remote: No
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 24 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
As a Senior Engineer on the Commerce team, you will work with other Engineers, Product Management, and Product Designers to build user facing features and internal services to promote engagement between Cash App customers and businesses. For small businesses, Cash App is a platform that provides features needed for merchants to interact with their customers. Larger businesses use our Cash App Developers API to connect with Cash App customers. In both cases, you will evolve the identity of Cash App strictly beyond a consumer product.
- Take a developer-centric approach in designing and building APIs
- Support third-party developers
- Develop native Cash App payment features
- Operate and manage Cash services
- Test everything
- Share ownership of the product
- Contribute to the broader tech and open source communities
- Curiosity that pushes you to find flaws in a complex system and take whatever steps are necessary to fix them
- The desire to perform and grow as an Engineer
- Taken technical initiative on previous projects
- Worked on challenging projects and collaborated across multiple teams
- An interest in working on a product that impacts people/businesses directly
Tools we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, and Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services
- Event-driven architecture
- Feature Engineering for Machine Learning
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.