Data Engineer - Hardware
- San Francisco, CA
Square began with a simple yet revolutionary piece of hardware—the Square Reader. We have expanded that vision to give our merchants access to the latest secure payment technologies (contactless and chip cards) and easy-to-use Point of Sale products. Today our hardware carries over $30 billion in transactions annually. Measuring the performance of our hardware, and the journey in getting the hardware to our merchants, is essential in ensuring that our merchants’ experience with Square is as seamless as possible.
We need your help to collect data about our hardware, organize that data, and make it available to analysts across Square. As a member of the Hardware data engineering team, you will define, develop, and manage a variety of data infrastructure components and pipelines so that our analytics teams and collaborators have trusted data to inform decisions and insights.
- Join the small but mighty Hardware data engineering team that partners with internal Hardware data consumers to understand their needs and to source the right data sets to work on
- Build scalable Hardware data pipelines to ingest data from internal/external sources to our cloud data stack (Snowflake / AWS)
- Develop data structures to support flexible analysis of this data, including creating data models, structuring optimized ETLs, designing validation scripts
- Troubleshoot technical issues with platforms, data discrepancies, alerts, etc.
- Be a voice between the Hardware team and Square’s data community. Help the hardware team’s data producers embrace best-practices, represent the hardware team’s voice in data infrastructure planning discussions.
- Report into a data engineering manager on the Platform Infrastructure Engineering team
- 2+ years building and supporting reporting data systems built on columnar oriented RDBMS systems (e.g. Snowflake, BigQuery, Redshift, Vertica, etc.)
- Experience building data pipelines from heterogeneous data sources (e.g. Event streams, Flat Files, RDBMS, REST APIs, SFTP, etc.) to support real-time operational and analytical workloads
- Proficient with SQL, ETL, and Apache Airflow; and knowledge of at least one mature programming language (Ruby (and Rails), Python, Java, Go, or similar)
- Some experience with Linux/OSX command line, version control software (git), and general software development
- Some experience with cloud based data tools and services (e.g. AWS Lambda/S3/Transfer, GCP Cloud Functions/GCS, Fivetran, etc.)
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources