Software Engineer, Conversations Team
- San Francisco, CA, USA
The Conversations team at Square is building a messaging platform to allow merchants to message their customers across multiple channels (SMS, FB, etc.), with all of the contextual information Square already knows about their business seamlessly integrated into the experience. The team's mission within Square is to help sellers communicate with their customers. The first step of that was to build Square Assistant -- a virtual assistant to help merchants serve their customers, initially over SMS. Looking into 2020 we are excited to focus on messaging more broadly, and of course incorporating the intelligence and convenience of Square Assistant into our new messaging platform. The team itself was created in mid-2019 with the acquisition of Eloquent Labs.
We're looking for engineers with an interest in backend/server engineering, and particularly in real time applications (e.g., messaging systems) to help build out Square Messenger, and to support the backend infrastructure for Square Assistant.
- Play a key role in implementing a new messaging product within Square
- Build high availability and highly resilient systems for real-time messaging
- Work with AI, iOS, and web engineers to ship features.
- Work cross collaboratively with product managers and designers to improve and determine product scope and design.
- Ship cutting-edge AI to businesses that traditionally haven’t had access to it
- 3+ years of relevant academic or industry experience
- Experience with system design and implementation
- Experience with AWS and Java is recommended
- Experience in Python and an interest in machine learning are a plus
- Interest to help shape the mission and roadmap of a new team, and rallying others to join you
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources