Software Engineer, Product Teams (Frontend)
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Toronto office is our newest engineering hub housing a number of product teams at Square. As Square's business continues to experience rapid growth, these teams serve the heart of the business, allowing Square product teams and third parties to build safe, scalable, and reliable products. We are looking for front-end and full-stack software engineers who feel comfortable in all parts of the stack, and are also willing to help Square expand its engineering presence in the region, to join our Toronto office.
The Toronto office houses a number of teams at Square. As Square’s business continues to expand, these teams will help build all aspects of Square’s offerings. We are looking for talented and passionate software engineers to join our Toronto office. Here are some of our teams:
Dashboard- You will...
- Work across team boundaries to improve our eponymous flagship merchant-facing web application that provides exceptional business tooling and functionality. Millions of customers rely on Dashboard to run their business.
Improve navigation, search, and other user-facing web experiences that combine intuitive interfaces with smooth performance at scale. This work impacts thousands of our merchants directly.
Spearheading innovative Ember-based platform improvements for hundreds of Square software engineers through our internal tooling and build pipeline.
Contribute to larger, cross-team front end projects throughout Square to provide a cohesive, first class experience.
Store - You will…
- Build elegant user-facing web experiences that combine intuitive interfaces with smooth performance at scale to allow sellers to succeed online, including managing their online item catalog, accepting orders, fulfilling those orders, and everything in between
- Work closely with other Store teams on cross functional initiatives to provide complex and advanced Online Store functionality. From international support to robust customer accounts, you will work on the advanced features that help sellers grow and succeed
- Achieve the levels of reliability and correctness that merchants and buyers expect when they entrust Square with their financial and business information
Photo Studio - You will…
- Define the architectural direction for the Online Store product, and work closely with technical stakeholders from other teams to ensure that our plans and approaches are technically sound and forward thinking
- Build out and enhance the user-facing purchase flow, add new products and functionality for purchase, and create admin and management tools for photographers
- Work on a product that provides tremendous value to sellers, by allowing them to get professional quality photos and 360 degree animations of the products using our state-of-the-art robotic camera at a low price
- Support rapid growth of the platform and expansion into more studio locations. The engineering team will play a key role in finding efficiencies that allow the product to scale
- 2+ years of front-end development experience and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals
- Motivation to build beautiful, refined and intuitive products
- Innate curiosity, and a desire to learn and teach
- Empathy for your customers and colleagues
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others
- Experience working in PHP, preferably with some full-stack experience
Technologies we use and teach:
- PHP (Vanilla and Laravel), Go
- MySQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Memcached
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.