Software Engineer, Payment Connections
- Atlanta, GA, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Payment Connections team enables Square to move money globally by building reliable channels to payment networks and acquirers. As a Software Engineer, you will build features and applications that power Square’s global expansion. Your work will empower the coffee shop down the street and the website on the other side of the planet to focus on their primary business, not on their payments.
- Work on a team that has its hand in projects improving payments around the globe.
- Dive into the specifications and systems of the incumbent financial world and find ways to abstract them into features for Square’s modern payments platform.
- Work with experienced teams across Square (including a sister team in Melbourne, Australia) to translate what’s possible into remarkable experiences for our sellers and their customers.
- Manage features and integrations throughout their lifecycle, from initial design to production payments.
- Manage systems that move billions of dollars, pounds, and yen every week.
- An natural curiosity about how money moves and the desire to become an expert in financial systems.
- A willingness to lean into understanding complex systems and how they could be better.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience.
Technologies we use and teach:
Protocols such as ISO8583 and AS2805
Deploy code to GCP, AWS, and Square's data centers
Guice, Guava, Protocol Buffers, gRPC, Envoy
MySQL, Kafka, SignalFX, Spanner, Bigquery
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.