Senior Software Engineer - Consumer Banking
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Alternate Location: Kitchener, Canada
- Position open to remote: No
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 24 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
Interested in learning more?
As a member of the Consumer Banking engineering team, you will build new and improve existing banking experiences that our customers depend on every day. The things that you build will create significant impact at scale and challenge the status quo of existing products on the market. In addition, you’ll get a chance to improve our infrastructure to make our systems more robust and scalable.
As a member of the Cash engineering team, you’ll:
- Scope, design and build new features as well as maintain existing functionality of banking features
- Design APIs and data models to work within microservice and event-driven architectures
- Build incrementally and deploy daily
- Scale systems to a rapidly growing customer base
- Test everything
- Participate in all parts of product development, working closely with non-engineering related disciplines (product and design) and adjacent engineering teams
- 5+ years of software development or equivalent experience
- Drive to find flaws in a system with many moving parts and take whatever steps are necessary to fix them
- The ability to design and build creative solutions to complex problems
- A desire to perform and grow as an engineer
- Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
Technologies we use and teach (you don’t need to have experience using these):
- Java, Kotlin
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, Protocol Buffers
- OkHttp, Jetty, JUnit, Guice
- Hibernate, MySQL, DynamoDB
- Kafka, events, microservices
- DataDog, Prometheus, SignalFx
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.