Hardware Systems Electronics Engineer
- Shenzhen, China
Our hardware team builds the tangible connection to all that is Square. From the Square Card Reader for NFC and chip cards, Square Stand, Square Terminal and Register, our family of devices is growing - and this is only the beginning. As we introduce more and more of our products to the world, our hardware footprint continues to expand.
Square’s mission demands electrical designs that include integration of multiple technologies, RF, near-field communication (NFC), batteries, displays, multiple CPUs, and more. All of this must coexist with security, reliability, and low cost at high-volume manufacturing.
Square is a global company with offices around the world, and our hardware team is no exception. We have team members in various locations in East Asia and North America. Our team based in Shenzhen includes mechanical and manufacturing test disciplines, along with quality, program management, and supply management. The Shenzhen team works most closely with our Asia-based manufacturing, engineering, and component partners.
We are looking for an Electrical Engineer with manufacturing experience to work with our design teams and external partners to ensure every build is a successful one and that our products maintain the quality that Square is known for through continuous improvements.
- Review schematics and layout for design and manufacturability
- Support prototype and production builds, including FA and manufacturing oversight
- Recommend and lead sustaining improvements
- Oversee CM/JDM-owned design validation
- Communicate problems or roadblocks to the broader team
- MS/BS degree in Electrical Engineering or Telecommunications Engineering
- 5+ years experience as an electrical engineer in embedded systems
- Experience guiding and managing factory operators and engineers at CM
- Experience with schematics, PCB layout, and mechanical drawings
- Experience in PCB and FPC DFM/Fab/Assembly/Test/FA
- Knowledge of SMT processes (IQC, SPI, AOI, Reflow, FAI)
- Expertise in the hardware lab with test, measurement, and prototyping
- On-site factory experience with contract manufacturers
Even better if you have experience in:
- Both high (>1M/yr) and low (<10k/yr) volume products
- JDM/ODM product development model
- Regulatory testing - including EMC, safety
- Schematic design and layout skills
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources