Software Engineering Manager, Square Capital
- San Francisco, CA
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
- Position open to remote: Yes
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Squares rapidly growing financing platform, Square Capital, has revolutionized the way businesses and consumers obtain the funding needed to achieve their goals.
Unlike traditional business financing products, Square Capital offers are extended to pre-qualified sellers with no application process, funds are deposited as soon as the next business day, and repayment happens as a fixed percentage of daily card sales. Since the product launched in 2014, Square Capital has extended more than $6 billion to over a hundred thousand sellers, and generated a ton of great feedback for future products.
The Business Financing team manages the full stack product experience for the Square Capital lending products. Within the Business Financing team, the Foundations team is pioneering new services and platforms for our financing products by reimagining how we design and build with the cloud.
We believe Engineering management is a craft worthy of mastery, and we’re looking for an Engineering leader who shares our passion for building impactful teams, products, and businesses. You'll ensure collaboration across multiple disciplines and foster development on the team through your mentorship.
As the Engineering Manager for the Business Financing Foundations Team on Square Capital, you will:
- Lead and empower an outstanding team of engineers by developing your team, promoting practical engineering decision-making, and applying your technical expertise to always improve
- Help set broad direction, influence engineering and business strategy, and establish practices to efficiently and effectively address customer needs
- Lead and participate in essential technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across our multiple product, data science, and analyst teams
- Promote the success of your team's projects and achieve quantifiable results
- Build systems that collect and maintain customers confidential data, while holding Square to the highest standards for security and compliance.
- Participate in ongoing training to maintain current knowledge of BSA/AML and perform BSA/AML duties as required by job function
- 6+ years professional experience building customer-facing large software projects
- 2+ years of experience directly managing engineers - including providing mentorship, feedback, and investing in the career growth of your team members
- A history of healthy collaboration with Product Managers, Engineers, Data Scientists and other cross-functional leaders
- Excellent software engineering knowledge and the ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance
Tools we use and teach:
- Ruby on Rails
- ES6 & TypeScript
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources