Hardware Engineering Program Manager
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Oakland, United States
- Position open to remote: Yes
As a Square Hardware EPM, you will coordinate complex hardware product engineering development, NPI builds, validation, and certification activities and Sustaining Engineering activities. As a Hardware EPM, you will use your engineering background to identify technical issues and risks and use your program management experience to guide the team through successful development to product launch. You will work with engineers in all disciplines, other Program Managers in engineering and operations, product managers and strategic suppliers and partners.
We want employees to be able to reside where they feel most creative and productive. You will be part of an org and team that works across Pacific Time and China Time.
This role is open to all people who can be effective partners with this team, including sharing and adjusting to typical working hours.
- Create a hardware development plan, schedule and budget for a complex consumer electronics payment product in partnership with engineering managers, technical leads and individual contributors.
- Work with the Product Manager, Software Engineering Program Manager, Operations Program Manager and other key program leads to coordinate critical work and convergence dates.
- Identify key technical risk areas and develop applicable mitigation strategies.
- Communicate key developments, updates, and problems to teams and team members (technical and non-technical).
- Drive certification activities in partnership with regulatory and certification experts.
- Discern and implement process improvements that allow our engineers to do their best work.
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- BS degree in ME/EE/CE or related field of study or equivalent work experience
- Familiarity with JDM and CM development models and experience managing complex NPI builds
- Experience with the common challenges and interdependencies in embedded systems and the development of custom hardware.
- The ability to understand and deal well with rapid development cycles and to remain flexible in the face of uncertainty.
- Experience managing trade-offs given specific constraints. Communication, organizational and leadership skills; ability to inspire team members.
- The ability to across multiple time zones and travel internationally to Square offices and manufacturing locations.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources