Senior Software Engineer (Fullstack/Backend), Payroll
- San Francisco, CA
- Alternate Location: Oakland, United States
- Position open to remote: Yes
Much in the same way that Square revolutionized payments, Square Payroll is radically altering how employees get paid and businesses manage their finances. Our mission is to make running a business simple and personal by applying automation and an excellent user-experience.
Our small, collaborative team has already built many underlying features and are now focused on improving and experimenting beyond a traditional payroll product. We want to transform the lives of people that make their living through our platform. We're an essential and growing part of the Square ecosystem and are using our position to build products and features that are beyond the capabilities of our competitors.
You are a product-minded, customer-focused, full-stack engineer who can help take world-changing ideas from prototype to launch.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Payroll team, you will:
- Champion the needs of Square Payroll's small-business employer and employee customer base, through customer empathy, iteration, and service ownership.
- Write clean, testable, peer-reviewed code, which will be a model for the team around you.
- Technically lead a diverse portfolio of full-stack engineering projects.
- Oversee the development and live operation of an increasingly distributed architecture.
- Advocate for change in quality, durability, reliability, and technical debt reduction, working directly with Product Managers, Engineering Managers, and other partners.
- Revitalize services and architectures which have outlasted their original implementations, through refactoring, migration, and scale-ready, distributed architectural design.
- Safeguard the privacy, security, and trust of our customers’ sensitive data throughout our implementations, in partnerships with our Risk and Information Security teams.
- Unleash the velocity of our engineers and engineering systems with processes and implementations that allow us to ship quicker, fail faster, and isolate the blast radius of change pipelines.
- A curious, passionate, growth-oriented mindset
- A desire to teach, improve, and otherwise force multiply the strengths of the engineers that surround you
- Lead engineering projects at non-trivial scale
- Expertise in at least one major programming language. Don’t worry if you don’t know our stack (yet), because we’ll teach you
- Software design experience with distributed architectures that have seen growth
- BA/BS degree or equivalent working experience (5+ years preferred)
Bonus points if you also have:
- Familiarity with a major front-end framework
- Experience building and deploying to cloud infrastructure
Technologies We Use and Teach
- Ruby, Rails
- Ember, Glimmer, React
- SignalFX, DataDog
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources