Software Engineer, Full Stack
- San Francisco, CA
Square’s hardware devices form the tangible connection between Square and the millions of small businesses who rely on our services. We are always improving the software on these devices and monitoring their performance. The Device Software Tools & Services team develops and runs production services that securely deploy software updates to millions of embedded devices across four continents, and collect diagnostic and troubleshooting data from devices in the field.
As our hardware portfolio expands and Square reaches larger, more-complex businesses, you will work on the team that serves larger and more complicated assets - to more devices - more frequently, while constantly improving the customer experience associated with this process. We need full-stack software services that can scale with this task.
- Design, implement, and run software services to validate, deploy, and monitor software updates for Square embedded devices.
- Scale our deployment infrastructure and systems to support future hardware offerings and growth.
- Use metrics reporting to gain insight into the health of our build, test and release infrastructure.
- Empower the team to be brave and take principled risks, without ever showing a negative impact to customers.
- Work with our product and business teams to develop Square’s global hardware strategy.
- 4+ years of software engineering experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- Proficient in at least one of Ruby, Python, Java, or Go.
- Experience developing highly available and scalable production services.
- A strong desire to abstract away complexity, replace repetition with automation, and design user-centered solutions.
- Natural curiosity and a passion for learning.
- Experience with front-end development.
Nice To Have:
- Experience with either embedded or Android development
- Technologies We Use
- Rails, Protocol Buffers, gRPC, jQuery
- Snowflake, Looker, Redis, MySQL
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources