Software Engineer (Fullstack/Backend), Identity Verification & Activation
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Oakland, United States
- Position open to remote: Yes
We are the front door to Square. Operating in the regulated financial space, we verify the identity of businesses and individuals before they can accept payments or use other financial products. Our platform performs the due diligence and varied rules required to establish the identity of Square's merchants. While also allowing these businesses to accept payments in minutes. We are part of the teams that allow money movements for all products at Square.
Why is this team important to Square?
- Build a global platform for Square’s continued success in existing markets and new markets.
- We serve important products, who in turn, serve our sellers. Including our largest revenue and growth products: Payments, Capital, Payroll, Square Card, and Cash App.
- Verify real-world identity: Security and privacy for our customers are extremely important to us. We are always pushing the boundaries to give our product teams the room to create friction-less user experiences, and our legal & compliance teams the tools they need to be more engaging.
- Scale: Our platform has to serve not just the whole company and our customers, but also partners and their customers
- International: With the identity verification mechanisms and requirements varying wildly from market to market and regions, this team investigates and incorporates new technologies to automate customer verification.
- Creative Solution: We investigate new technologies to always improve our identification algorithms, applying data and machine learning.
- Contribute in delivering important plans such as international expansion, innovation of verification technologies, automation of complex business.
- Help keep our services stable and robustly aligned with the growth demands of our products.
- Develop APIs for Square products and partners to build upon.
- Design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave, move fast, and break things, without ever showing a negative impact to customers.
- Implement low-latency, distributed systems.
- Build systems that manage customer’s sensitive data and hold Square to the highest standards for security and compliance.
- Work with our product, business, and finance teams to develop Square’s global payments strategy.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience (2+ years)
- Expertise in any object-oriented paradigm
- Curiosity and desire in designing and creating available, compliant, global real-world identity verification and activation systems
- Excel dealing with hard problems
- Full-stack experience
- REST API development experience
Technologies we use: Java, Ruby, Go
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources