Senior Software Engineer (Commerce), Cash App
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Position open to remote: No
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 24 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
As a Senior Engineer on the Commerce team, you will work with other Engineers, Product Management, and Product Designers to develop large-scale systems that are used to promote engagement between Cash App customers and businesses. For small businesses, we use Cash App as a platform to provide features needed for merchants to work with their customers. Larger businesses use our Cash App API to connect with Cash App customers. In both cases, you will help us evolve the identity of Cash App strictly beyond a consumer product. At this level, you are not only demonstrating leadership within the team, but looked at across all of Cash App for your high-quality, impactful technical contributions.
- Work on impactful, multi-person projects that cross Engineering team boundaries
- Take a developer-centric approach in designing and building APIs
- Support third-party developers
- Develop native Cash App payment features, test everything as well as operate and manage Cash services
- Mentor other Engineers on the team and recommendations to improve the team and wider Engineering practices
- Help interview candidates, organize external recruiting/networking activities as well as contribute to the broader tech and open source communities
- Developed clear expertise in one or more technical areas
- Curiosity that pushes you to find flaws in a complex system and take whatever steps are necessary to fix them
- The desire to perform and grow as an Engineer
- Taken technical initiative on previous projects, having led or contributed to medium-to-large feature releases
- The ability to persevere in complex situations, across multiple axes: e.g. scale, uncertainty, interconnectedness
- An interest in working on a product that impacts people/businesses directly
Tools we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, and Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, TiDB
- Amazon Web Services
- Event-driven microservice architecture
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.