Senior Software Engineer, Cloud Foundations
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Cloud Foundations team is a small, agile team working to make cloud use at Square more accessible, easier and safer. Square is at an exciting inflection point, where Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP) are becoming increasingly advantageous to product engineers versus our datacenters. We're talking to other product-focused teams, understanding what they want and building tooling that makes it possible for them to do what they want without us getting in the way. Some projects we've worked on include unifying cloud and datacenter observability, feature enhancements to our Terraform CI/CD pipelines, and ensuring service mesh connectivity from AWS Lambda.
As an engineer on Cloud Foundations, you will directly help develop the infrastructure that enables every team at Square to use the best AWS and GCP have to offer. Your impact will span across product and infrastructure engineering teams at Square, and you will help set the direction for Square's cloud use for many years to come. Along the way you will have plenty of opportunities to meet and work with engineers from across the company working on different problems and help them all succeed.
- Design software that bridges Square systems to the cloud
- Work with security teams to improve the security posture of Square's cloud presence
- Provide mentorship and design review support for engineering teams across Square working with our technologies
- Contribute to monitoring, stability, and security of existing tools
- Participate in a team on-call rotation
- Implement 3rd-party tools and services to accelerate cloud adoption at Square
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform, especially IAM
- Experience leading or overseeing large projects from start to finish
- Developed and maintained relationships with other teams and job functions, such as Compliance, Finance, and Security
- The ability to breakdown complex projects into components or milestones that can easily be picked up by other engineers
- Familiarity with one infrastructure as code tool, like Terraform or Cloud Formation
- Familiarity with any of the following programming languages: Ruby, Go, Python or Java
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible. Perks At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes: Healthcare coverage, Retirement Plans, Employee Stock Purchase Program, Meal reimbursements, Wellness perks, Paid parental leave, Flexible time off, Learning and Development resources