Software Quality Engineer
- San Francisco, CA
Our hardware team builds the tangible connection to all that is Square. We started with a simple and elegant Reader that turns any phone or tablet into a mobile point of sale. Since then, we have expanded our hardware footprint to meet the needs of more sellers. Most recently, we introduced our first Android-based solutions: Square Register, the first integrated point of sale that enables people to start selling right out of the box, and Square Terminal, the all-in-one device for payments and receipts. In this role, you will ensure our sellers and their customers have a remarkable experience by shaping our device software validation strategy for our Square hardware products.
You will report to the Quality Engineering Manager.
We want employees to be able to reside where they feel most creative and productive. You will be part of an org that works across Pacific, Central, and Eastern time zones.
In this role, you and your direct team will be based in the Pacific time zone. This role is open to all people who can be effective partners with this team, including sharing typical working hours.
- Determine when our product software is good enough for our sellers by using your knowledge of product architecture and evaluate product risk during each phase of development, deployment, and use.
- Own the definition and oversee the execution of overall validation strategy, both manual and automated, for the platform software that ships on our hardware devices.
- Move up and down the stack and become an expert on how applications, system, and firmware are integrated.
- Work with multiple development teams and organizations to influence the software architecture and design with an emphasis on ensuring we can validate all features and functions our sellers need to be successful.
- Use your knowledge of the product architecture, software interactions between components and your ability to estimate the severity and probability of an issue to evaluate product risk during each phase of development, deployment and use.
- Champion for a remarkable customer experience within product engineering through product and process improvements.
- 2+ years of verification, validation or software engineering experience.
- Developed validation strategy for a complex functional area.
- Strong aptitude for learning new technologies. Able to identify, classify, prioritize and drive closure of issues in multiple products and software releases.
- Experience working as a strong partner on a cross-functional team.
- BS in CS, CE, EE, or equivalent practical experience
Nice To Have:
Experience validating and shipping a successful consumer electronics device.
A high degree of curiosity, with a knack for creating innovative techniques to discover hardware, firmware and software issues.
Experience developing a team, strategy and set of practices in the early phase of an organization's growth.
Managed or partnered with contractors.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources