Software Engineering Program Manager
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
- Position open to remote: Yes
The ideal Software EPM candidate will have experience executing complex programs. They will understand the who, what, and how of system development. You will orchestrate and execute a firmware/software development schedule that aligns with both hardware delivery and field releases.
We want employees to be able to reside where they feel most creative and productive. You will be part of an org that works across Pacific Time, Eastern Time, and China Time.
In this role, you and your direct team will be based in the Pacific Time zone. This role is open to all people who can be effective partners with this team, including sharing and adjusting to typical working hours.
- Create a software development schedule for a complex consumer electronics payment product in partnership with engineering managers and technical leads.
- Work with partners in product management and engineering to establish strategy and requirements.
- Work with Software Engineering Program Managers and Product Managers to coordinate essential work and convergence dates.
- Work with distributed teams to deliver supporting software and services in sync with launch timelines and communicate regularly with teams on status, risks and change control.
- Identify the key technical risk areas and develop mitigation strategies.
- Communicate key developments, updates, and problems to teams in other disciplines.
- Grasp complex technical topics and abstract important risks into an applicable plan.
- Shape processes for efficiency and scale in the software engineering organization.
- 5+ years of relevant engineering & technical program management experience.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related technical field.
- Experience managing projects across teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
- Technical knowledge of software architecture ideally focused on firmware and embedded systems for consumer products.
- Experience with the common challenges in embedded systems, including the development of custom hardware.
- The ability to understand and deal well with rapid development cycles and to remain flexible in the face of uncertainty.
- Experience managing trade-offs given specific constraints.
- Extended experience in agile methodologies.
- An understanding of software development life cycle and best practices.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources