- Tokyo, Japan
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a smartphone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Terminal, Square Appointments, Square Online Store, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square
Square's Seller Communications team communicates to the world how Square empowers entrepreneurs, business owners, and corporations with powerful and elegant tools to help them start, run, grow, and adapt their businesses. As part of Square's investment in global markets, we're looking for a Communications Lead to run communications in Japan for our Seller business. Seller Communications at Square will see you representing our ecosystem of products and services for businesses of all sizes such as payments technology, hardware, point of sale software, eCommerce tools, and more. A core part of our global Seller Communications team, you will report to the Head of Seller Communications based in California. This position will be based in Tokyo, and is able to work from home and/or be in our Tokyo office.
- Conceptualise and execute proactive comms initiatives that build awareness of our products, showcase our customers, highlight our technology, and develop the Square brand.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with key internal stakeholders, including Product teams, Corporate Communications, Marketing, Content & Digital, and Legal.
- Develop and maintain reporter relationships across national, local, business, tech, and vertical publications.
- Handle media briefings, spokespeople training, and prep Japan-based Square sellers for media opportunities.
- Create written materials, including press releases, data reports, briefing documents, communications plans and FAQs, blog posts, and other collateral.
- Advocate for Square and develop narratives to resonate with diverse audiences.
- Serve as on-the-record spokesperson and collaborate on rapid response.
- Work in Japanese and English regularly (video meetings, phone, in person, email).
- Fluency in Japanese and English.
- Demonstrated relevant work experience at either a PR agency, media organisation, or an in-house communications team.
- Experience managing a variety of communications scenarios, especially product and feature launches, proactive campaigns, and data storytelling.
- Experience uncovering stories, data, and other insights that can create coverage and advance company narratives in the down-cycles between product launches or announcements.
- Media relations skills with examples of creating coverage in national, local, business, tech, and vertical publications.
- Experience working with colleagues located around the world.
- Affinity for building partnerships with key company partners, including senior leadership.
- A desire to help further our mission of economic empowerment through impactful storytelling.
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills.
- An appreciation of the Oxford comma.
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, qualifications, professional competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources