Senior Software Engineer, Payment Connections
- Atlanta, GA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The Payment Connections team enables Square to move money globally by building reliable channels to payment networks and acquirers. As a Software Engineer, you will build features and applications that power Square’s global expansion. Your work will empower the coffee shop down the street and the website on the other side of the planet to focus on their primary business, not on their payments.
- Work on a team that has its hand in projects improving payments around the globe
- Dive into the specifications and systems of the incumbent financial world and find ways to abstract them into features for Square’s modern payments platform
- Work with experienced teams across Square (including a sister team in Melbourne, Australia) to translate what’s possible into remarkable experiences for our sellers and their customers
- Manage features and integrations throughout their lifecycle, from initial design to production payments
- Manage systems that move billions of dollars, pounds, and yen every week
- A natural curiosity about how money moves and the desire to become an expert in financial systems
- A willingness to lean into understanding complex systems and how they could be better
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience
Technologies we use and teach:
- Protocols such as ISO8583 and AS2805
- Deploy code to GCP, AWS, and Square's data centers
- Guice, Guava, Protocol Buffers, gRPC, Envoy
- MySQL, Kafka, SignalFX, Spanner, Bigquery
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources