Senior Risk Operations Leader, Cash App
- Detroit, MI, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 30 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
Interested in learning more?
We are seeking a highly motivated, experienced, and resourceful individual to inspire, lead, and scale Cash Customer Operations’ (CCO’s) Risk Operations and Risk Management functions. These functions serve to protect our customer and our business from fraud and bad actors, identifying new fraud vectors and working with product, engineering, and other teams to counter them; working cross-functionally with our partner banks to resolve customer disputes, managing identity verification, helping customers with account theft, and more.
In this role, you will serve as a cross-functional leader inside the company, working with product, engineering, design, business development, marketing, and finance to protect our customers and build Cash App’s reputation as a financial institution they can trust. You’ll manage the operations of the team to ensure we achieve Cash App’s most important strategic priorities and underpin our obsession with the customer focus and mindset. You will set, track and manage your team’s Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) weekly and partner with training, recruiting, analytics, workforce management, Voice of the Customer (VoC) and other teams focused around keeping our customers safe and successful.
- Utilize deep product and industry knowledge to implement and improve on best practices while serving as a strong cross-functional leader and advocacy role model for our global Risk function
- Coach and mentor team members with a focus on professional development and upstream and preventative thinking
- Own the efficiency of the Risk operation, smartly balancing quality and cost to maximize investments and talent
- Manage the metrics to measure the growth, performance and impact of the team, and set goals and provide progress updates
- Develop and lead end-to-end project plans and ensure on-time delivery of critical customer success initiatives
- Gather and synthesize relevant data, suggesting improvements in the tools and techniques to help scale the team
- Scale the Risk team by capitalizing on opportunities for increased effectiveness and efficiency, driving productivity and quality initiatives and working tirelessly to empower the front-line advocates
- Work with internal teams and partner banks to tightly manage and drive down loss rates
- Develop strategies to shift further Risk from a reactive to a proactive approach, working closely with internal teams (product, engineering, etc.) to identify threat vectors and mitigate them, as well as improving on customer pain points around disputes/chargebacks, account theft, and identity verification
You will be accountable for:
- Leading and guiding the performance of the Risk function on the core work KPIs (around quality, efficiency) and on metrics that are critical to running the business, like involuntary attrition, retention, and engagement
- Building and representing the Risk team’s culture and priorities as part of the overall ecosystem CCO is building across internal and external sites
- Leading, coordinating or supporting efforts around major impactful high visibility projects
- Building and fostering, mentoring and coaching the leadership talent we have in our team, and creating paths forward for every operational role to enrich the organization and retain our talent
- Serving as an owner or major contributor to overarching CCO strategies around everything Risk-related: identity verification/KYC, disputes, account theft, and more
- Developing and enabling opportunity and growth for team members beyond role-based, professional, and educational paths for personal improvement
- A relevant BA/BS degree. MBA a plus.
- 10+ years of financial industry experience with a focus on risk assessment and management, fraud, disputes/chargebacks, or related fields
- Past experience working in a rapidly scaling organization and going from a single-site model to a global or distributed model
- Experience creating, building, optimizing B2C operations, particularly in a fast-paced startup or tech environment
- The ability to effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Creative problem-solving abilities and expertise in balancing and articulating trade-offs
- A passion for consumer financial services and ensuring an outstanding customer experience
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.