Senior Software Engineer (Lending), Cash App
- Kitchener, ON, Canada
- Alternate Location: Toronto, Canada
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic money app with over 30 million active monthly users.
Loved by customers and by pop culture, we’ve held the #1 spot in finance on the App Store for almost two years, and our social media posts see more engagement in a day than most financial brands see in a year.
With major offices in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Melbourne, Cash App is bringing a better way to send, spend, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to today’s banking system.
Cash App's mission is to make money instantly available and universally accessible - all the products and features we've released in the app are based on those principles. Lending is one of the newest Cash App products and we're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join this team and help deliver on our vision of economic empowerment.
Lending offers Cash users low-friction access to money without prohibitive repayment terms and the Engineering team is focused on building the complex systems and tooling to support access and availability. We're looking for people who are as excited about our mission as they are about the technical challenges we have.
- Work on impactful, multi-person projects that cross Engineering team boundaries
- Take a developer-centric approach in designing and building APIs
- Develop Cash App Lending features and test everything you build thoroughly
- Operate and manage existing Cash services
- Provide mentorship to other members of the team
- Make recommendations to improve the team and wider Engineering practices
- Help interview candidates, organize external recruiting/networking activities as well as contribute to the broader tech and open source communities
- Report to one of the founding Engineers of Cash
- 5+ years working on complex systems and delivering quality software
- Developed clear expertise in one or more technical areas
- Curiosity that pushes you to find flaws in a complex system and take whatever steps are necessary to fix them
- Taken technical initiative on previous projects, having led or contributed to medium-to-large feature releases
- The ability to persevere in complex situations, across multiple axes: e.g. scale, uncertainty, interconnectedness
- An interest in working on a product that impacts people/businesses directly
Tools we teach and use:
- Kotlin and Java 11 (including JUnit, Hibernate, and Guice)
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, TiDB
- Event-driven microservice architecture
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding state and city guidelines.