Senior Software Engineer, Customer Data Applications Team
- San Francisco, CA
If you think about the story of Square, it's largely a story of a payments company that spawned an ecosystem of products related to commerce: Payroll, Capital, Appointments, Employee Management, Loyalty, Gift Cards and many more. People come to Square for payments, but they stay for the integrated ecosystem.
The Customer Data Applications team is at the center of all this and is one of the two teams working on a data integration platform that connects this ecosystem of products to our payments customers. We started our journey by powering marketing use cases and built a customer data platform instead of simply integrating with 3rd party marketing tools. Now that the system is up and running, we're starting to build and integrate a new ecosystem of products powered by data, including personalization and ML, analytics, segmentation, data governance, and warehousing just to name a few.
Furthermore, the team is unique in that we build most of our services on the Google Cloud platform therefore there are opportunities to become an expert in cloud tooling which is a valuable set of skills to have as the world moves towards the cloud.
As a member of our team, you will:
- Work with product and design to build first party applications on the platform to enable a variety of use cases such as personalization, self-servability, etc.
- Help us architect the core Square wide data models that unify data from a number of distributed services.
- Design and build APIs and highly available services that deliver personalized, real-time content.
- Work with all product teams across Square to enable or build data integrations and client logging libraries.
- Work closely with our data science and analytics teams to build event-based triggers for intelligent decisioning.
- Build data pipelines and integrations that connect Squares services to cloud services and 3rd party tools.
- Work with the Marketing Operations team to either build or integrate tools to make marketing more automated and effective.
- Demonstrated excellence in Python, Java or Ruby
- 7+ years industry experience
- A desire to be directly responsible for the lifecycle of engineering solutions. This includes leading the design and implementation of projects and organizing the team to achieve a remarkable solution.
- Experience designing and building APIs
- A love of data, data munging and care about building the right abstractions
- A strong desire to see your work have direct impact on the business
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform
- Expertise with streaming technologies (Kafka, Pubsub, Kinesis) and log-based architectures and experience writing batch and stream processing jobs (i.e. Apache Beam, Google Cloud DataFlow, Apache Spark, Apache Storm)
- Experience with ad tech, targeting, machine learning
- Familiarity with marketing systems
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources