Senior Software Engineer (Storage), Cash App
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Seattle, United States
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 30 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
Interested in learning more?
Storage sits within the Cash Cloud Platform Group. Our mission is to provide a secure, reliable platform for the Cash Product Development Teams. We manage the infrastructure that persists and stores data for all of Cash and provide a set of fully managed databases as a platform. Reporting to the SRE Manager, you will automate and operate different storage mechanisms like DynamoDB, AWS Aurora and TiDB. Our teams are remote first and globally distributed. You will have high levels of autonomy and curiosity.
As a member of Cash Platform’s engineering team, you’ll collaborate with our stakeholders - including product engineers - to:
- Develop projects that provide storage with high availability, large throughput and low latency
- Exert technical influence to improve the reliability of our products and systems
- Operate massively distributed databases at scale
- Provide internal expertise and advice
- Mentor fellow engineers
- Develop services and automation
- Develop sensible Disaster Recovery process and policy
- Work with the observability and product engineering teams
- Cultivate Cash's open source projects and build things you are proud to share
- Make bleeding edge cloud and database technology scalable and reliable
- Technical initiative and a desire to make those around you better
- Experience with Data storage at scale like as TiDB, MySQL, Amazon Aurora
- Experience with highly available systems at scale
- Recent experience with Docker
- Experience public cloud like AWS, GCP or Azure
- Solid skills in scripting languages like Go, Bash or Python
- Experience with configuration management software such as Terraform, Puppet or Ansible
- Exposure to a distributed work environment
- Experience with incident response, including disaster recovery
- Exposure to container orchestration (like Kubernetes)
Technologies we use and teach:
TiDB, Amazon Aurora, DynamoDB, MySQL, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, AWS, gRPC, Buildkite, Go, Microservices, GraphQL, Git, and Kotlin.
Cash App spends much of its time using these tools, but we're committed to working on the right tech for the job. As a senior member of the team, we look forward to your expertise guiding us into the future.
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.